"Not all those who wander are lost." J.R.R. Tolkien

Tuesday, June 10, 2014

"Laterblog" from Chitwan

So we haven't been great about this whole blogging thing, but I wanted to share some pictures from Chitwan. Actually, I wanted to post a few videos, but just getting a picture to load here is hard enough! I will do "laterblogs" from the past few weeks. Better late than never!

Chelsey, Ansley, and myself decided to take an "Elephant Bath." If I would have known about the elephant bath earlier, it would have most definitely been on my "Bucket List." I guess I put it on my bucket list, and then marked it off in a matter of 48 hours. Not bad!

To take an elephant bath, we had to rent a lifejacket for 100 rupees (which is about a dollar). This seems cheap, but considering the whole elephant safari wasn't much more than that, it made me laugh a little. And the water was really clear, and not very deep.

Anyway, we walked into the Rapti River in Chitwan right behind our "resort." After the fact that I got into the river and let the elephant spray and dump me several times, I began to wonder about the safety of this river (my OCD self coming out). However, I am thankful I got to experience this! After telling Gajendra about our experience, he decided to let us know that there are lots of crocodiles in the river a little bit further up the stream. YIKES! Anyway, the water was fresh, the elephant was AWESOME, and it was a great way to end our HOT trip to Chitwan.

Excuse the fuzziness...this was actually a picture taken from the video. Maybe I can post the video when we get home!


This is of Ansley and Chelsey.  Chelsey's face CRACKS me up! Their elephant was not nearly as mindful and kept dumping them off. 


Post monsoon elephant ride followed by an elephant bath. We are looking rough, but it sure was refreshing. I was praising God for the rain! Thanks to our videographer/cameraman Parker Watson for capturing a most excellent experience.


The night we got there we went to a cultural show. The people living in Chitwan are the Tharu people, and they teach tourists a little about the history thru cultural dances. Parker actually wrote a paper about them for his Master's program in an "unreached people group" project. Look them up if you have time! 

I volunteered Parker to dance with them, and of course he didn't hesitate. The video is hilarious. Will definitely be sharing that!




No comments:

Post a Comment